Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Vintage Vignette

In this economy, it is really not practical to run out and scour the stores for a new item to brighten up my living spaces. My budget must go to a whole slew of other necessities (like student loans, a new washing machine, and life in general *sigh*). But I when I stop to really think about it, I find that I am grateful for the challenge this season has gifted to me, because I have been forced to look at my current possessions with new eyes. 

And in so doing, I have created novel vignettes that are out of my normal realm of decorating.  The quirky-fun side of my personality has had more opportunity to come out and play. This exercise in frugality has also opened my eyes to the ever growing possibility of what art can be. Items from my every day existence, for example. The cameo above, my mother discovered years ago at one of my favorite local antique malls. She then presented it to me for my birthday.  I have long treasured this as one of my favorite vintage pieces. 

I thought to myself the other day, why keep such a gem relegated to hiding among my pin stash when it can be showcased alongside other meaningful pieces from my past? Every time I pass this vintage vignette, a happy memory tugs at the corner of my heart and I am once again grateful for this learned art of frugality.