Saturday, May 26, 2012

Sewing Among the Flowers

 The Saturday of Mother's Day weekend, I stole away to my mom & dad's cottage in the country. 

Everywhere I turned there was some sweet flower or cheery birdsong to instill peace and tranquility back into my heart. It's been a long past couple of weeks and this visit was precisely
 the medicine the doctor ordered!

 While there, Mimsie also helped me with sewing these adorable quilt squares together. The cheerful prints and happy colors perfectly capture the color scheme for my kitchen redo (except for the grey. I am not really emphasizing that color much). It is a curtain to hang across the gap where my leaky dishwasher formerly sat. 

The clematis' spiky fronds never cease to astound me with their electric color. They seem such a tropical-looking plant to do so well in Ohio.  

 The dahlias below are stunning. Not very large yet, but very striking in their abundance of petals. 

Sorry to have been away from you all for so long. I have enjoyed receiving the many comments of love and encouragement you have been so gracious to send. I am a bit of a sad sack today and have enjoyed dropping by each of your happy blogs to take in the beauty and soak in the cheer. There is nothing like a good dose of blogger therapy to help get one back on track!

Jess left this morning with Mom and Dad to help her move into her new North Dakota digs. We squeezed so much into this past week it is incredible! Many lovely memories. Last night, I hugged her goodbye and dashed out the door before she could see me cry. She doesn't like a sappy fuss being made over her. I drove home crying terrible great big fat tears that wouldn't stop. Halfway home, the thunderstorm that had been threatening broke loose and joined me in my cry fest. The rain came down so hard, I was crawling along at 25 mph in a 55 zone! The streets of town were flooded in some parts. Hubby described the fat bolts of lightening as looking like the Emperor from Star Wars as he battled to the death. Rather comical interpretation, but in retrospect, it did look that way. 

I have been listening to Little Women as a book on cd. I have read it a couple times over the years, but my last reading was over a decade ago now. I forgot just how touching the story was. I have decided to take Marmie's advice to her sweet brood to heart and apply it to my life: "Hope and keep busy."

And that is exactly what I intend to do! It is my new motto. There is not time for me to dwell on sadness. Instead, I am deciding to embrace this new phase of Jess and my's life and make the most of it. 
I have all ready made a list of fun care packages to send and am planning to buy a web cam so we can Skype. Hopefully, she will be back for a visit before I know it.

May each of you find hope for the day and happy things to keep you busy!